Saturday, May 11, 2013

JONATHAN EDWARDS 1703-58

Christian preacher and theologian

Surely there is something in the unruffled calm of nature that overawes our little anxieties and doubts; the sight of the deep-blue sky and the clustering stars above seems to impart a quiet to the mind.

Today on THE ETERNAL VENUS
The Birth of Venus, by Botticelli

-o0o-

THE SATURDAY POEM 
On a Tired Housewife
 Anon

Here lies a poor woman who was always tired,
She lived in a house where help wasn't hired:
Her last words on earth were: “Dear friends, I am going
To where there's no cooking, or washing, or sewing,
For everything there is exact to my wishes,
For where they don't eat there's no washing of dishes.
I'll be where loud anthems will always be ringing,
But having no voice I'll be quit of the singing.
Don't mourn for me now, don't mourn for me never,
I am going to do nothing for ever and ever.”
 
-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o- 

No comments: